Vanilla Bean Creme Brûlée



This is now my favorite new dessert! Forget cakes, pass along the creme brûlée. I think this is a perfect dessert after a filling meal, you know when you want something sweet but to to heavy?
 It also makes a beautiful presentation and can be made a day or two before your dinner. It is surprisingly easy to make, you just need to invest in some ramekins (which I bought at Target) and a torch which I got on Amazon)
Just make sure you torch the sugar before serving and do not stick it back into the fridge. I learned my lesson after the sugar liquified.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3 large eggs
  • ½ cup sugar (plus extra for caramelizing)
  • 1 vanilla bean 

Instructions:

Pre-heat the oven to 300°F and set your ramekins into a large baking dish. 


  • Add 2 cups of heavy cream into a small saucepan, split vanilla bean and scrape the beans into the cream, I also toss the bean into the cream to get as much flavor as possible. 
  • Heat the cream in the sauce pan to a simmer, stirring frequently.



  • In your stand mixer or a medium bowl, whisk together 3 eggs and ½ cup sugar until blended.
  • Slowly/gradually add the hot cream into the egg/sugar mixer. Start very slow or you may cook your eggs.
  • Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large 4 cup measuring cup with a pouring lip. Discard anything left in the sieve. Divide the mixture into 6 ramekins cups and place in a large baking dish.


  • Fill the baking dish with boiling water about halfway up the sides of the cups. Bake at 300˚F for 55 minutes. 
  • Once out of the oven, remove from hot water bath. I like to put them on a cookie sheet with a non slip mat, so the ramekins won't slip. Let cool to room temp then refrigerate the creme brûlée until fully cooled.

  • To caramelize the sugar, put 1 TB of sugar on each custard, swirl to spread evenly. Torch the top, until all the sugar is a caramelized deep amber color. 




Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!! Seriously creme brulee is my fav but I've never attempted to make it myself!! Pinning to try! Thanks for sharing on Sunday FUNday!

    ReplyDelete